Sunday 10 March 2013

DIY Latte Syrups!

A few months ago, I got a job at a coffee bistro in my city. At first I was terrified at the fact that I would have to memorize all the different drink combinations, and also would be dealing with the picky coffee people who want their "half-caf, low fat, americano misto, wet foam, two and a quarter pump of sugar free vanilla exactly 180 degrees for here please." But instead its the opposite. I'm starting to enjoy the endless latte possibilities, and the challenge of making the drink perfect is starting to thrill me (Barista problems?). Working here inspired me to try and make drinks at home. I don't have the espresso machine or the fancy syrups, so here I am trying to make London Fogs with Twinnings Earl Grey and granulated sugar. They didn't taste at all as good, so taking after my mothers hummingbird juice recipe, I decided to try and make hot drink syrups for myself! Keep reading for an explanation of how I did it.

What you will need:

1 cup water
1 cup sugar
Saucepan
About 1 tsp extract (the higher the quality, the better!)
Mason jars with lids (for storing)


Step 1:

Bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan. Once at a rolling boil, add your sugar. Reduce heat, and stir until the mixture is completely homogeneous and all the sugar granules have dissolved. Add your extract of choice. I chose to make vanilla, peppermint and caramel.



Step 2:  Allow mixture to simmer for 5-10 minutes. I found that this will thicken up the syrup, and in the end will be more concentrated because some of the water will have evaporated.

Step 3: Remove from heat, and let cool before transferring the syrups to the jars.

(Caramel, Vanilla, Peppermint) 

These syrups are great for mixing in hot chocolate, tea, coffee, or even just warm milk. I use about two tablespoons in my drinks, but add as much as you want, depending on how sweet you like your drinks.

Can't think of any creative syrup flavourings? Here are some popular syrups: butterscotch, almond, hazelnut, vanilla, peppermint, cinnamon, caramel, and ginger.

Much love,
Sierra

1 comment: