Monday 9 July 2012

DIY Ombre Jean Shirt

Hey guys! So the weather was beautiful today, and it got me feeling creative. I've seen many DIY's like this, so I decided to try it out, and see what worked best for me. I took pictures of the process, and I'll give you a step by step on how I did it, if you keep reading!

Things You Will Need: 

-Regular bleach (Javex, Clorox etc.)
-A jean shirt/vest
-A bucket
-Water
-An elastic, to mark where you want the bleach to go up too
-Rubber gloves

Also! Just in case the bleach splashes around, you might want to wear older clothes you dont mind wrecking.


Step 1: Get yourself into a well ventilated area (you definitely don't want to be breathing this stuff in!), I chose to do it outside. Start out by pouring your bleach into your tub/bucket of choice. The ratio is about 1:1, water to bleach. You can use smaller ratios of water, or even 100% bleach, but you will have less control of the result the less water you add (adding water basically just slows down the process).


Step 2: Tie off (using the elastic) how high up you want the bleach to go. I chose to go up to about half way. Submerge the ends straight away, slowing working your way up to the elastic. Move the fabric around (with gloves!) in the bleach in order to get at every piece. 


Step 3: Slowly work your way up to the elastic, in order to make the bottom fade nicely to the top colour. Keep the shirt submerged in the bleach for as long as you want, until the colour is what you desire. It's super easy to see how light the fabric is getting, which allows you to pull it out whenever you want to.


Step 4: Ta-da! Once the colour is to your liking, take it out! Rinse off the initial bleach that is still soaked into the shirt (since I was outside, I used the hose, which made it really easy). The shirt will still smell like bleach at this point, and it may still have some soaked inside it. Be really careful the first time you wash the article of clothing in the washing machine, because it could very well run into other clothes! 

I hope you found this insightful and inspiring! It's really the easiest thing to do, and it give your clothes a whole new look about them. Leave a comment below if you have any tips you think I should add, or anything you have to say about this DIY. Thanks for reading, and happy bleaching!

-Sierra



No comments:

Post a Comment